Friday

Caribou hunting and fishing trips in Northern Quebec

Caribou and Fishing Trip in Northern Quebec

Caribou hunting or salmon fishing trip up on that beautiful George River in Northern Quebec Canada. I think that every hunter or fishermen (women)have to take a trip like this once in a life time.

This river is situated at 175 miles north east of the paradise town of Schefferville known for it’s fishing and hunting. The fishing is atlantic salmon, artic char, lake and speckle trout and nice size fish. The fishing season begins the 15 th. June and ends the 30th. September.
The caribou hunts opens on the 8th. August and ends with the trophy hunt the 2 nd. October. Let me tell you that the George River herd is 750 thousandheads. They start moving south migration around the middle of August and all through the month of September. You will see herds of 30 to 10000 caribou heading south and its something to watch, the bigger racks are in front leading the herd.

Last year I was 6 weeks on the river at the Wedge Hills Lodge as a guide and handy man. I had plenty of time to enjoy my favourite sports, hunting and fishing.I caught two salmon 12 and 16 lbs. and played catch and release with lake and speckle trout, how many I do not remember, but a lot.

Caribou, if I did not see 100 thousand I did not see one. I shot a nice size bull with a nice and even rack, it was a trophy. I also bagged a young bull around 20 to 25lbs. less meat than the big bull. But let me tell you the tenderness and taste of the young bull, you can not compare it with the trophy bull. These caribou were shot at the end of September and the big bulls then are getting close to the rut and the meat has a strong taste. This is why I preferred the young bull.

There is always something new to see. Like one evening I was relaxing in the owner’s camp, when I noticed an artic wolf out in front. It was sniffing the ground, it layed down and started rolling and stretching itself. It reminded me of Blacky when I use to untie him to let him run around. This wolf was healthy, big and looked in great shape, yes this was his territory. I watched this beautiful creature for a good 20 minutes and never thought about my camera. I saw the same thing with a black bear and her two cubs and that was something to see also. The cubs had a lot of fun but the mother had her eyes on me all the time.

Like I mentioned you have to do this at least once in a life time.

Tired of the high and still rising price of gasoline, join my team. Have a look at the site on your right and click on eefuel eelube or click here.

http://www.4ourfuture.com/fritiz

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Thanks for sharing such a informative content with us.

Caribou Hunting & Muskox hunting