Monday

Fishing with my buddy Jimmy

One day after school around the begining of June 1953 with my buddy Jimmy we decided to try fishing for the first time. We were both the same age 7. I had borrowed from my uncle Howard's tackel box nylon black fishing line, a few hooks and my buddy dugged up a few worms. We decided to fish off the dock. We ended up by getting the hook tied to the line a whole worm on the hook and into the water we dropped it. The very first fish I caught was a sucker. I ran all the way home with it to show it to my grandmother. I was so happy I wanted my grandma to cook it for me. She said no there are to many bones in a sucker. My buddy Jim was luckier than me he caught a nice 3 Lbs. pickerel.

2 comments:

Andrew Wheeler said...

I remember when I went fishing for the first time at 5 in a canal in Oxford, England. Didn't catch anything, I was using bread on a hook and hoping to catch something from the murky water! I managed later on to catch some sticklebacks in a pond in France when I was 6. From then on I kept going back.

Andrew Wheeler said...

That first time was back in 1977.