Tuesday

Out Ice Fishing and Setting Snares

I was up early and got the chores done, Filled the wood box, cut up a bit of kindling, (small pieces of dry wood to start a fire). Filled up the hot water tank and emptied the slop pail. I said to grandma, yes I brought some birch in. My breakfast was ready and often it was toast peanut butter or cheese. Once in awhile I had back bacon and eggs. In an half hour I was on my way, I had to put my moccasins on because I had to put my snowshoes that morning. We had over two feet of snow on the river. Off I took with my axe, chisel and pack sac on. I was heading for Charles’s Creek half a mile down the river. Holy smokes the rabbit trails all over on both sides of the creek. Cut a few branches got my snare wire out and in about two hours I had 10 snares set. Made 4 holes which took also a good hour all my lines were in. The ice was about a foot thick, beginning of December 1954. Hoops one line is moving. I ran grabbed the line and out game a nice speckle trout 2 lbs. Put a piece of salt pork back on to the hook and back into the hole it went. Something was nibbling on the same line and out I pulled it another trout about the same as the first. I ended up catching 6 nice trout all the same size. I could not wait until the next morning.

1 comments:

lurkamahar said...

First of all I want to congrats you having such a nice and unique blog.This post about ice fishing and setting snares is again your one of the best post on this blog.I am also interested in pig hunting.If any one is interested then click the link below to know all about Pig hunting.
Pig Hunting